Here are just a few things that continue to fascinate me about radio:
- You can do anything. Anything you want the listener to see, they will see. And because they're creating the images, they'll see it perfectly.
- While it's fun to collaborate with a director, a line producer, a full film crew, cast, an editor and a music house to produce a piece of film, it's just as fun to work with a sound engineer, and some talented actors to make something just as memorable.
- There's no medium where a writer can have this much control and this much fun.
- That said, the very best art directors I've worked with knew how to make great radio, cared what it sounded like, and had their names on the credits.
- You get about 80 words for a :30, and 155 for a :60. Radio was Twitter before there was Twitter.