A Mom Story for Mother's Day

In light of Mother's Day, I just wanted to share a quick story about my mother.

She's always been my biggest fan and biggest promoter, passing on news to family and friends back east. I've learned over the years that when I send news home, if I don't specify that I don't want it passed on, she will email it out to her 200 closest friends. She's what Malcolm Gladwell calls a "connector."

Anyway, a few years ago, when I got a promotion, I sent the announcement email (the one that had been sent out to the agency) home to my folks. They like to see things like that. What I didn't think to do was to delete the email address of my boss and our CCO, who had written the email.

A few hours later, my boss stopped me in the hall and said that she had received an email from MY MOTHER! She thought it was hilarious and really charming and brought me into her office to listen, red-faced, while she read it to me. Basically my mother, bless her heart, thanking my boss for everything she's done for me over the years, for watching out for me, how happy I am, yada yada. Oh, mom.

Anyway, happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. That's a much tougher and more important job than anything we do in our business, and I'm always in awe.