June 11, 2009.
I can't stress enough how important it is that portfolio school students attend this.
- You get a huge amount of feedback in a small amount of time.
- The feedback you receive is from some of the top talent in the industry, no matter the city you're participating in.
- It's face time with the people you want to work for.
- It's an opportunity to make an impression. Mike Shine was the very first person to review my student book at PN's predecessor the One Club Student Exhibition. Six years later, when I interviewed with him, I still had one student campaign in my book. He said, "Oh, yeah! I remember these!" (Probably helped that I sent a thank you card with the campaign in them.)
- It's a really fun night. I can't speak for the other cities, but last year DDB Chicago had hors d'oeuvres and Guitar Hero while you were waiting for a review. So much better than sitting on your couch watching Friends reruns.