Sending Emails to recruiters and CDs

In a recently posted comment, Mankan asked if we would “show a format how a good email to an agency should look like?

There are probably better, more effective examples, but I’ll share mine with you. Below are three emails I sent to a recruiter before being invited for an interview. The names have been changed for privacy.


SENT JAN. 6

Hi, Jill.

My friend Bob Frapples tells me AGENCY #1 may be looking for some senior creatives.

I've spent most of my career in Chicago, but a couple years ago I transferred to MY CURRENT AGENCY to get some experience on international accounts like CLIENT #1 and CLIENT #2. Well worth it, but I'm looking at returning to the States in 2010.

You can see my work here: LINK TO MY WEB PAGE

I've followed AGENCY #1’s work for years. If you think I'd make a good fit, I'd love to talk about the possibilities. Happy to Skype if it's easier. Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Greg Christensen


SENT JAN. 15

Hi, Jill.

Just thought I'd reach out and see if you had any feedback on my work.

LINK TO MY WEB PAGE

I didn't realize Nicky Nickson had returned to AGENCY #1. We worked together in Salt Lake City years ago. I was just an intern, so he might not remember me. But I always liked the energy he brought to the agency. Does he still have a dentist chair in his office?

Cheers,

Greg


SENT JAN. 27

Hi, Jill.

I just wanted to let you and anyone else viewing my book know that I added a new digital section to my home page:

LINK TO DIGITAL SECTION OF MY WEB PAGE

You can still view the main page here: LINK TO URL MAIN PAGE

I've followed the agency's work over the years, and hearing Bob Frapples tell me how much he enjoys working there, I'm really hopeful you'll see me as a good fit.

Cheers,

Greg


A few things to note:

  1. This wasn't a complete cold call. A friend of mine at the agency let me know about the opportunity. Never underestimate your network.
  2. I included my URL in every email. Never assume the people you're talking to know exactly who you are and what work you've produced.
  3. If I hadn't been overseas, I probably would have tried calling as well.

Feel free to post questions and comments. Portfolio school professors, creative directors, and recruiters are also great resources for this question.