Knowledge + Confidence

I'm teaching a class this quarter called STORYTELLING. I'm completely jazzed about teaching this class, and I'll probably share assignments on the blog, though they're not all ad related.

Anyway, as I was typing up the syllabus, describing the workshop format of the class and encouraging students to be honest and critical without being a dick, it struck me that there are two things that help one grow in this business. KNOWLEDGE and CONFIDENCE.

Someone with all the knowledge (some might call this "talent") in the world, but no confidence to share their brilliant ideas isn't very valuable. And someone with tons of confidence but no knowledge, well, we've probably all met those kinds of people.

But here's the cool thing: You learn from your mistakes and you gain confidence from your successes. So either way, you're growing. The important thing is that you're creating.